Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 1: Houston - San Antonio - Austin

As I type this, I am lying on my belly on the bed. Why you ask? Well because my butt feels like a hundred gorillas have been pounding on it all day. Quite sore indeed. My butt usually gets used to it after a couple of days, hopefully it will be soon... ouchie.....

Not only am i lying on my belly, I have a 1 gal jug of water on the end table beside me.  Last I checked, the temperature around this area of texas was 98 deg and "feels like 106". Going 75 mph down the highway does nothing for me but sends a torrent of hot air straight into my face. Thankfully my Cortech GX-Air Mesh rose to the challenge. With only the outermost layer on, the breeze easily penetrates the jacket and drys my undershirt quite quickly, especially with the warm ambient air. The evaporation keeps me quite nice and cool indeed. But the downside is that i get terribly dehydrated rather quickly. What saved me was the camelbak bladder that I keep inside the main compartment of my tank bag. I keep the tube sticking out of the bag so it is easily accessible on the move.


Every couple of miles I stick the tube up my helmet and take a swig. Keeps me somewhat hydrated, but still not enough as evidenced by my constant chugging of fluids even now. For the ride tomorrow, I'll be sure to take more swigs along the way.

I'm looking forward to bed tonight. After breakfast tomorrow, I'll be heading out towards Waco and Longview, Tx. 

Onward!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment