Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 8 - Ann Arbor, MI

Yep. It is the second day in Ann Arbor. Once again i rise early, made sure I have enough change in my pocket (for taking the bus back to Knightsbridge after dropping the bike off)  and took off towards Nicholson's Powersports to get my bike serviced. 



View Larger Map


I got there just in time to catch the guy pull open the shutters to the service department and i guessed i must have been way to enthusiastic because he gave me the "what the heck is someone doing here this early on a weekday" look.  But turns out, he was a very very nice guy and put me at ease right away.  So i told him that I wanted to get an oil change plus a full inspection so that i can be sure that i can make it back to Texas in one piece. I dropped off the keys and proceeded to the showroom to check out the latest & greatest in powersports. 


Midway through trying not to get my slobbering drool all over the nice shiny 2010 models in the showroom, the service guy finally comes up to me to give me the update. It isn't good..... my front forks are leaking badly, and on top of that, there was a major recall on the frame of the K5 GSX-R1000 models that make it prone to snapping in half. He pointed out that now that this has been brought to their attention, he cannot, in good conscience, allow the bike to go out without being fixed. With the prospect of having my bike snap in half while tearing through the West Virginia mountains, i had to agree with him. Unfortunately they do not have the repair parts in stock and hence will not be able to get it done for at least another week or two.


If you want to read about the recall and the severity of the recall, you can read it here.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35357


Yeah... so here I am, having to wait out another week or two. Unfortunately, this is a week or two which i do not have. I had to get back to Houston and to the office at the end of next week and i didn't have the time to sit around and wait for repairs. So began the agonizing task with wrestling with the dreaded "Plan B", which is to sell the bike and fly back to houston instead.


I call up Tony to discuss things a bit and after a bit of waffling, I bit my lip and finally decided to sell it there and take a plane back to houston in order to get back to the office in time. So there and then, we made the transaction. They gave me the cash and i reluctantly handed over the keys... and so... my journey ends here. 


Well, i guess this is it. The journey is over... for now. I fully enjoyed my time riding across the country and i'm sad for it to end, especially so since i don't know if my back will allow me to ride again, but even if i don't, i'm immensely grateful for the opportunity. A special thanks to all those folks who supported me and put me up in their homes, I'm so blessed to have such awesome friends. Thank you Lord for keeping me safe and for the lessons i've learned this trip. I guess its now time to sign off, maybe just maybe there'll be another long ride round in the future, but until then, ya'll keep on ridin'. Laus Deo!

No comments:

Post a Comment