Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 3 (part 1): Longview, TX to West Memphis, AR

I really didn't want to get up this morning. After being hunched over all that time yesterday, i really needed a hard surface to sleep on last night to straighten my back. Thankfully, Jung had a whole lot of living room floor for me which I greatly appreciated. 


Today was another marathon run (or at least it felt like that). Another 6 hours in the hot southern sun . I left Longview and headed Northwest towards Texakarna and then caught I-30 towards Little Rock. Then swung west on I-40 towards Memphis. 


The trip today officially made it the longest daily back to back rides I have ever made on a sportbike. I have made relatively short return rides to and from Big Bend National Park in West Texas and have made return rides to and from New Orleans, both with at least a one or 2 days in between where I got to rest up. But never had i done this back to back arriving in the evenings, sleeping and then taking off again in the morning. Although it's only day 3, my body feels like i'm 80. My back doesn't bother me as much as my wrist does. I guess constantly having to hold the throttle in place from an elevation that is higher is really straining my wrist. At least on a cruiser the handlebars are usually located in a comfortable elevation and separation. On a sportbike, riding with my weight forward means that i'm constantly putting my weight on my arms (and hence my wrist), while at the same time having to be gentle on the throttle. In order to alleviate the discomfort on the wrist, I have my right foot on tippy toes on the foot peg and rest my right elbow on my knee. This seems to help with the wrist a little bit.


But eh... enough whining....This Army Lieutenant ain't going to let a little tingle in my wrist get the better of me. I am brought back to 10 years ago back in the military where we get by day to day on one word... 忍!!!! (endure!) After all, "Pain is merely weakness leaving the body". 


Right around Texakarna, I hit the Arkansas border. Being a local highway (as opposed to an interstate hwy), I actually managed to stop and snap a pic of the sign that welcomed me.

Bye Bye TEJAS! Hellow Arkansas!



No comments:

Post a Comment