Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Food Stop 1 - Henry's Puffy Tacos, San Antonio, Tx




Well, I'm finally at my first stop! And I'm starving! This isn't the first time i have heard of Henry's. I was in San Antonio for a wedding about 2 years ago and someone kept mentioning this place. Didn't go last time, but i sure am going to have some this time!

Henry's was not hard to find at all. Just off San Antonio's 410 beltway on Bandera, there's no way you can miss the sign....

Not to be confused with the sign belonging to the establishment next door:

Here's a shot of the front of the building:


The first thing you see when you step inside is the bar. Quite nice really...

The Meal:

I had a Two Puffy taco lunch plate consisting of of re-fried beans, rice and two puffy tacos. One of my tacos was "Picadillo" (Shredded beef) and the other was shredded chicken. Both topped with guacamole. The proteins were served up in Henry's own "Puffy" Taco, a thick round of tortilla which "puffed" up when deep fried, creating a mildly crispy outside with a light "bread-y" hollow inside. Kinda like a very light (as in not dense) elephant ear / funnel cake. Despite being deep fried, the tortilla was surprisingly light.

I have to admit, the platter was not the best looking kid on the block, but it was quite tasty and filling. I picked at the rice and left the beans alone, but the 2 tacos were enough to fill me up quite nicely. The lunch was washed down with a glass of EXCELLENT lemonade (although i swear it tasted like freshly squeezed sweetened key limes). I would have ordered me another glass if I didn't have another long ride ahead of me. Overall, not too bad.

I Liked, 
- The price
- The ambiance
- That it was pretty filling.
- The beef and chicken was quite tasty.
- The interesting texture of the tortilla
- The Lemonade.
- Very Friendly Service

I Didn't Quite Like
- That they charged for the individual taco toppings.

Special thanks for my great host Susan C!

Henry's Puffy Tacos (On Bandera)

Address: 6030 Bandera Road, San Antonio, TX 78238.
Phone: (210) 433 - PUFF (7833)
Hours: Mon - Sat 10:30 am to 8:30 pm; Closed on Sunday.
Map:

View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. How long did it take to get to San Antonio from Houston? The Taco looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... from houston.
    Took about 3.5 (very HOT!) hrs

    ReplyDelete