Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 5 Evening: Chicago Illinois

It feels great to be back in the midwest not just because the everything feels, smells and tastes different and strangely nostalgic, but because it feels great to be back in the company of great friends whom I have left behind when I moved down south. 


I've known Aaron for a good part of 6 or 7 years now. It's kinda strange because we would have been the most unlikely of friends. During that time I was just graduating college and and he was in high school. 6-7 years on and we're still good friends. Strange how things turn out. 


But yeah, it's good to see Aaron again, we've been talking about motorcycles for years now and now finally we have the opportunity to go for a ride together. After the wonderful Korean dinner we had in the evening and despite his persistent headache and the risk of being neutered via girlfriend, combined with my old aching body, we still managed to put in a short ride up and down Lakeshore drive. Despite some choppy riding from my friend, i still managed to keep up without running into his behind. T'was short but good. Although it's the first ride, but from the way my back is holding up, it's probably also going to be the last one for a while. 


I have ridden through a lot of curves in my life, sometimes I wipe out, sometimes I make it to breathe another day, but often the journey is exhilarating and breathtaking. The very nature of curves mean that you sometimes can't see around the corner, so every corner holds surprises at every turn. Sometimes they are astounding, sometimes disappointing, sometimes its a dead end and requires some backtracking. As i get older, it is often the lessons learned on the winding roads that remind me that sometimes the best place to be is on the straight and narrow. While i gracefully bow out, I hope Aaron will keep on riding out strong but more importantly keep riding on straight.



No comments:

Post a Comment