Follow My Progress


View Long Road Round in a larger map

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 6 Evening. Ann Arbor MI

I finally pull into Knightsbridge at about 4 or 5 pm. Tony helped me stagger my way off the bike and into the house. Oooohhhh... it felt real good to finally sit my butt on something substantial. It felt so good that it almost made me forget that i just about never made it there merely 5 min ago. 

I was making my way along US -14 / 23 and, following directions, exited the highway at exit 4 (Barton Drive). What nobody told me was that after exiting "exit 4", you don't slowly cruise to a complete stop like most other proper exits. Instead you swing a wicked wicked 180 degree U-Turn to the right!!!!



I'm travelling along expecting to ease into the exit but as i leaned right to nudge the bike over, i suddenly see this sign AS I AM GOING INTO THE TURN!!! Not exactly the most comforting thing to see when you are barreling down at 65 mph and expecting a gentle rolling stop.



View Crazy U-Turn at Barton on US-14! in a larger map


I immediately shifted down and slowly eased into both front and rear breaks in order not lock up my wheels while at the same tie violently throwing my knee down overboard on the right side in order to keep from highsiding. Even with all that, i still drifted across the median line and across the oncoming lane till i scraped the gravel on the far side of the street. Thankfully there were no vehicles coming my way in the opposite direction otherwise it would really be having a bad bad day. So i recovered and made my way to the bottom of the hill... shaken but unscathed.


I sit for a bit and relax at tony's then it's off for dinner... Outback Steakhouse... yes... i broke the rule again... so i won't bother writing anything this time... but tomorrow... it's another matter... i'm on the prowl for cheesteak hoagies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment